My husband, Brian, and I are leaving tomorrow to pick up our third (first adopted) child from China! Follow us on our journey!

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Week one

Sorry for not posting this week! Jet lag has been hard to get through, plus getting back into a kind of groove without going to work has been interesting!

Ginny has been absolutely amazing this week. She warmed up to the kids on Sunday and actually cried when we came back in the house Monday morning without them after putting them on the bus! She's still not so sure about my mom, but she's starting to used to her. She's also doing great at Tae Kwon Do. We've taken her 3 times to watch and has been shy but fine. She even gave Master Chong a highs five!

She has more favorite toys now. She hoards them on the couch all day and takes turns playing with each. She especially likes cars. She may be my tomboy and I already told Brian I think she's going to be his sports fan!

I've been working with her on speaking and signing. The only word she can clearly say is 'mama'. Most of her speech is more like baby babbles. She can't repeat words clearly and most are completely intelligible. She is picking up the signs pretty well, though. We've got more, please, all done, mama, daddy, thank you and potty down pretty well. We're gonna start to work on stop, grandma, brother, sister, and sleep next!

She is a very affectionate child. Every time Brian or I walk in the room after being away from her for any length of time she gets this big smile, starts telling happily, and runs up to hug us! She is constantly asking me for hugs or kisses. She also enjoys sharing her snacks with me. We started a game a few days ago where I put food in her mouth and then she puts some in mine. I say please and thank you and she mimics me.

I downloaded a few apps for toddlers and she's doing pretty well on them. One involves stacking blocks and circles by size and the others are different matching games. She is good at the matching. This stacking is hit or miss. I'm not sure if she doesn't get it or is just being silly. She does not seem to know how to count, so we'll be working on that also.

I know there's more that I want to write about but I can't think of it right now. I'm going to try to keep posting at least once or twice a week as long as people want to keep reading about it. I'm sure it's going to be a very interesting journey for me over the next few weeks/months/years!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I was a chem grad student while Brian was at the UR. I've been really caught up in your adoption. It's been so amazing to read about the whole process and how Ginny is adapting!

    I love the t-shirts! So cute! Do you have "Ge ge" (哥哥) for the boys? Also, just out of curiosity, do you plan on having her take Chinese classes?

    I hope you continue to update. I really enjoy reading about it!

    ReplyDelete